Wednesday 10 November 2021

Speech Performances and Flooding

Last Thursday was the speech performances, and there were heaps of well written speeches. My topic was why you should get vaccinated. I went 44th but lots of people before me were away, so I was a bit earlier. Shivers ran down my spine as I stepped up onto the little stage, this was scary!

My speech was over and done with as soon as it started. I had mucked up in the middle of it, but that didn't matter, I had gotten my point across. After a while, kids started leaving, in the middle of the speeches. I thought it was Campion tour for the year six's, but then year five's started leaving. What was going on? 

When there was just half the class left, the teachers decided to stop speeches where they were because of the disruption. They told us that the weather forecast said the rain was meant to die off, but it had got stronger and there were flooding warnings for Gisborne. I glanced out the window and there was a puddle, ankle deep. 

After a while, my mum came and picked me up. Sponge Bay was told to evacuate because of high flooding. Our school hall was a safe place for the families that had to evacuate. Here are some photos:




 I really liked doing speeches, and I hope we do them at Intermediate! The flood wasn't as fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about